Most of our history section was taken from a book titled “Parkersburg Fire Department – Moments in History 1897-1990”. The book was compiled by Lt. Morris Bower and Jo Ann Thomas. The book and this section of the website, contain humorous moments and sad moments, in the history of the Parkersburg Fire Department.
It is our hope that this website “remains a constant reminder of the progress and dedication of the members of the Parkersburg Fire Department.”
Parkersburg’s Fire Department began in 1887 when a fire warden was appointed to examine the stovepipes, fireplaces, flues and chimneys in each and every house within the limits of the city. Pictured are the original paid firemen, identified from left to right: Bill Hydenruch, Walter Pilcher, Capt. John Montgomery, Ed Chaddock and Charles Groomsman.