Category archive: News

Apartment Building Fire – 1059 31st St

Apartment Building Fire - 1059 31st St

12/23/2013 – At 3:42 a.m. Monday morning, Parkersburg firefighters were alerted to an apartment fire at 1059 31st St. The first engine arrived, from Fire Station 4 on West Virginia Ave, and reported heavy smoke showing from the basement of a two story brick duplex. The structural damage was contained to the basement of one…

Details

Firefighters Hold Food Drive for Humane Society

Firefighters Hold Food Drive for Humane Society

Beginning Tuesday, December 2nd, the Parkersburg Fire Department will begin accepting food donations for the Humane Society of Parkersburg, during the fire department’s 2nd Annual Holiday Pet Food Drive. The city’s six fire stations will serve as drop off points. This event originated from an idea to give back to the community during the Christmas season…

Details

Change Your Clock, Change Your Smoke Detector Battery

Change Your Clock, Change Your Smoke Detector Battery

With the time change this Sunday, it reminds us to change and test the batteries in our smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. This message is simple and the habit can be lifesaving. The Parkersburg Fire Department reminds our residents that one easy step can help save their lives and the lives of those around them. Everyone…

Details

Fire Department Announces Civil Service Test

Fire Department Announces Civil Service Test

10/23/2013 – The City of Parkersburg Fire Civil Service Commission will conduct an entrance test for Probationary Firefighter on January 22, 2014. The test results will remain good for 3 years. “These are highly competitive positions. Over the next three years, we may have only four or five firefighters retire, but we anticipate there will…

Details

Four Transported to Hospital After Morning Fire

Four Transported to Hospital After Morning Fire

10/17/2013 – At 9:30 a.m. Thursday morning, Parkersburg firefighters responded to a working fire at 1047 Laird Ave. Dispatchers advised responding crews that four occupants were still in the house. Engine Company 3, from Liberty Street, reported heavy smoke showing with the front of the house well involved in flames. As firefighters arrived, the occupants…

Details

Surge Protectors Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

Surge Protectors Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

Schneider Electric Recalls APC Surge Protectors Due to Fire Hazard Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product. Recall date: OCTOBER 03, 2013 Recall number: 14-001 Recall Summary Name of product: APC SurgeArrest surge protectors Hazard: The surge protectors can overheat, smoke and melt, posing…

Details

Fire Prevention Week – Kitchen Fires!

Fire Prevention Week - Kitchen Fires!

Fire Prevention Week! The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 began on October 8th into October 9th. Most of its damage occurred on October 9th and it killed more than 250 people, left 100,000 homeless, destroyed more than 17,400 structures and burned more than 2,000 acres. Originally started as Fire Prevention Day in May, 1919, to…

Details

SLEEPOVER FIRE SAFETY FOR KIDS

Is your child safe staying overnight at a friend’s home? NFPA offers a free Sleepover Checklist to help parents answer that age-old question, “Mom, can I sleep over at Dana’s house?” Think upset tummies and lack of sleep are the biggest risks when your child is spending the night at his or her friend’s house? “Think again,”…

Details

PRESS RELEASE – Firefighters Complete Apprenticeship

PRESS RELEASE PARKERSBURG FIRE DEPARTMENT SEPTEMBER 16, 2013 CONTACT: FIRE CHIEF ERIC TAYLOR PHONE: 304-424-8470 EMAIL: ERIC.TAYLOR@PARKERSBURGFIRE.COM FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Firefighters Complete Apprenticeship The Parkersburg Fire Department wishes to announce that Pvt. Cody Boyd and Pvt. Jeremy Layner recently completed their 6,000 hour apprenticeship. The apprenticeship is administered by the U.S. Department of Labor and…

Details

Gree Recalls 12 Brands of Dehumidifiers Due to Serious Fire and Burn Hazards

Gree Recalls 12 Brands of Dehumidifiers Due to Serious Fire and Burn Hazards

Gree Recalls 12 Brands of Dehumidifiers Due to Serious Fire and Burn Hazards Recall Summary Name of product: Dehumidifiers Hazard: The dehumidifiers can overheat, smoke and catch fire, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers. Remedy: Refund Consumer Contact: Gree toll-free at (866) 853-2802 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, and on Saturday from…

Details