Apartment Building Fire – 1059 31st St

Post 35 of 97

12/23/2013 – At 3:42 a.m. Monday morning, Parkersburg firefighters were alerted to an apartment fire at 1059 31st St.

The first engine arrived, from Fire Station 4 on West Virginia Ave, and reported heavy smoke showing from the basement of a two story brick duplex.

The structural damage was contained to the basement of one apartment, but smoke damage extended throughout the building. Fire damage is estimated at $10,000, but the smoke damage will most likely double that amount. The building is owned by John Coe of Parkersburg.

A family of five will be displaced due to the fire. They are staying with a neighbor for the evening, but the Red Cross responded and will assist them with housing.

Fire crews remained on scene until after 6:00 a.m. completing an investigation.

“The fire originated in the basement and the cause appears to be an overloaded extension cord going to a space heater,” Fire Chief Eric Taylor.

The occupants were awakened by the smoke detectors alarming and were able to evacuate both apartments. No injuries were reported.

“While any house fire is traumatic, especially at Christmas, everything went well. The smoke detectors got the family outside to safety, which allowed them to get the fire department quickly on the way,” Taylor.

This article was written by Chief Taylor